Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Our First Visitors!

Well, it has been a while since I’ve posted- very bad form in the blogging world, I know. I have a good excuse though: we had our very first visitors to our new home in San Diego…the wonderful Mom and Dad Valluzzo!


The parental units arrived on Wednesday evening after their luxurious flight in first class. They got a free upgrade, but still oh so glamorous, Fran and Steph. Did you know you get free drinks up there!? Anyways, we picked them up from the airport and I was just so excited to show them around my new home. I know my mom misses her “baby” and I think she enjoyed seeing where we live, what our neighborhood is like, etc.


On Thursday Mom and Dad went off on their own to downtown San Diego and to Seaport Village, since I had to work. I left work a bit early and we enjoyed a very yummy dinner at the neighborhood eatery, Beaumont’s. That place is super cute, good food and a fun atmosphere. Good times were had by all :)


On Friday we ventured out to Temecula to do a little wine tasting! We had so much fun trying three different wineries: Thorton, Maurice Car'rie and La Cereza.


Thorton

This place was just gorgeous with a huge herb garden that Mike loved (more to come on our own herb garden!). We shared some great appetizers and tasted 4 types of wine and 4 types of sparkling wine (aka champagne). Some were good, some were not my cup of tea.


Yummy!

Beautiful!

The tasting room!

Lovies

Maurice Carie

This was a suggestion from Kathleen and it was great. I loved the big house with the huge wrap around porch. We tasted 6 types of wine here and really liked most of them! We had nice picnic out on the porch including cheese and crackers and some kiwi. Unfortunately, since it was Friday and not a weekend, they were not serving their famous home cooked sourdough bread with brie that Kat raved about. To my surprise and delight, my mom was able to purchase the sourdough, complete with cooking instructions and we were able to make it at home. I loved it!



THE bread

My two favorite guys

La Cereza

This place looked just like a little Tuscan villa…which of course won me over from the start. But most importantly, we found our favorite drink of the day here- a peach sparkling wine that was just so refreshing! Mike even ended up loving it so we bought a couple bottles.




A little cigar tastin' too!

Saturday we walked around Bird Rock and got some beach time in as well. It was a gorgeous day and nice and warm.


The last time my parents came to San Diego, which was in 1994 for a business meeting my Dad was attending, they went out to an exquisite dinner at a place called the Marine Room. Although it had been 15 years, they said we just had to try it- the food had been amazing and the restaurant itself was literally right on the beach. On high tide mornings, the water actually hits the side of the restaurant. Well, the Marine Room did not disappoint. Mike even said it was the best meal he had ever had. I would probably have to agree…it was AMAZING! We even celebrated Mike’s birthday about 5 months early- my Mom’s ridiculous rationalization for spending so much money on a fancy dinner. Happy (VERY) early birthday, Mike!



Sunday we just relaxed and with peach champagne in hand, watched a ton of football.


We really had such a great visit. Can’t wait for the next time they come out!

2 comments:

  1. that picture of you and mike you titled "lovies" is a really good one!! one of the better of you two.. california has made mike more photogenic :)

    ReplyDelete